Monday, August 18, 2008

Great Apes *Funny*

Warning this post is REALLY FUNNY! Do not read it if you have recently chugged a pint of milk, coffee or any sort of slushy. Surprisingly they all burn really bad when they come out of your nose. Plus if you're at work, requesting a new keyboard due to spitting is difficult to explain and rather embarrassing.
There's some interestingly geeky science stuff within... but if you can make it through, the payoff is well worth it! ENJOY!



Did you know that our nearest genetic relative is the Bonobo, the smallest of the Great Apes? (pictured is a baby) Bonobo's are part of the Hominidae biological family along with Gorillas, Chimpanzees, Orangutans and (get ready) Homo Sapiens - That's humans for the less geeky. Yeah, we're family members... Now how much DNA do we share with the Bonobo and the other great apes? Enough for the international group, the "Great Ape Project" to advocate to the United Nations that all great apes should be allowed basic human rights. Rights such as the right to life, the protection of individual liberty, and the prohibition of torture.

Interesting huh?

Anyway... Taxonomy studies have shown that we share 98% of our DNA with Bonobos! Considering, I only ate 90% of my dinner last night and can only follow the speed limit 80% of the time, 98% is a LOT!

"Okay Okay Eric, you said that this was going to be a funny post... where are you going with all of this Monkey Business?"

I'm glad that you asked. First off, I must correct you... it's not Monkey Business, as we are discussing apes... secondly, Jamie and I have been doing some independent research of my own to discover the relationship between our Baby J and the other great apes... Check out the video below and make your own determination.


If you got a chuckle out of this, please leave a comment!

9 comments:

Jamie said...

This was SO FUNNY! Just so you know you are now officially in charge of all blog posts. You are much funnier than me and need to do all writing from here on out. Deal?? Thanks for doing this babe, great work!

Eric said...

Thanks babe!!! I think it's the video that really makes this hillarious... I mean, when I was done writing and proofed it to make sure everything flowed... I clicked play on the video and was Cracking up myself!!!

And by the way... NO, you're not off of the hook from doing postings!

Anonymous said...

Can we have split screen taping/viewing next time ... 'cause I kinda have the feelign that watching both of you make those noises (and I'm guessing funny faces) would have made me laugh also! :)
I bet Jarem was thinking, "cool! If I make that funny noise mom and dad make funny faces and more funny noises. I've got them well-trained for my entertainment already!"

Anonymous said...

Oh, my gosh that was way too funny!!!

Anonymous said...

Oh, my gosh that was way too funny!!!

Anonymous said...

Cute!

Anonymous said...

You crack me up!!! I feel like I’m watching the Tarzan movie when the baby was raised by the apes.

Thanks for sharing.

Anonymous said...

You two crack me up! I think you may be on to something! :)

Unknown said...

What will Jarem think of this video in 18 years?